All currently enrolled first, second, and third year undergraduates in Columbia College or the School of Engineering and Applied Science for the 2012-13 academic year, who live in a residence hall or brownstone (or who are studying abroad), and who have never taken a voluntary leave or been forced to withdraw are eligible to participate in Room Selection.
Seniors who entered the College as first-year students who are now in the 3-2 SEAS program, 4-1 SEAS program, or HEOP program are guaranteed 10 semesters of housing, provided they meet all other eligibility requirements. They may participate in the Room Selection process with rising-senior status (30 points).
Students who are involved in an approved Study Abroad program and are paying tuition to Columbia while they are away are eligible for Room Selection if they had guaranteed housing when they left, and if they have designated a proxy to act on their behalf in the Room Selection process.
Barnard students can join groups of 3 to 8 people for In-Person Group Selection if at least 51% of the group is comprised of eligible Columbia students and their class standing is equal to or lower than the lowest Columbia point value.
Students are ineligible for Room Selection if they are:
- Barnard Students, in the case of Online Selection
- Columbia College or SEAS students who were assigned to an Undergraduate Housing space for the current academic year only. (These students are primarily visiting students and those who were assigned to a space from the Undergraduate Non-Guaranteed Wait List.)
- Current Seniors in the College or SEAS who have been accepted into a Columbia Graduate program. These students should apply for Graduate Housing at the University Apartment Housing Office, 420 West 119th St.
- Students on any leave of absence. Although students in this category are generally guaranteed housing upon their return, they must be formally readmitted to their school before they can be eligible to receive housing again. Students taking a voluntary leave of absence are not guaranteed housing.
- Students who move off campus lose their Guaranteed Housing.