Winter Break Information 2012-2013: The Winter Break period runs Friday, December 21, 2012 at 5pm through 9am on Thursday, January 17, 2013.
- Eligibility to Stay Over Winter Break
Information for Students who Remain in the Residence Halls and Brownstones During Winter Break
- Winter Break Office Hours
Students are only eligible for Winter Break housing if they are in housing for both the Fall 2012 and Spring 2013 semesters. Students withdrawing, studying abroad spring 2013, or graduating in February are not eligible for Winter Break Housing and are expected to fill out their Housing Portal Cancellation step and vacate their current assignment by Friday, December 21, 2012 at 5pm. Students returning from a Fall study abroad experience, new Spring visiting students, and those students readmitted for spring semester may not move in until 9am on Thursday, January 17, 2013.
- Students do not need to register in advance to remain in the residence halls during any portion of the winter break. However, students in residence are responsible for knowing that resources are structured differently during the winter break period and that guest/visitor policies are modified during this period.
- If leaving your room for the winter break please follow the Intersession To-Dos: http://housingservices.columbia.edu/content/intersession-break
- Occupancy is generally minimal during the winter break period; students should take safety and security precautions by locking room/suite doors and learn which friends/neighbors plan to remain on-campus.
- Public Safety is available 24/7 by calling x99 from a residence hall phone or 212-854-5555 from a cell phone.
- RAs/CAs do not serve on-duty during Winter Break. There are Residential Programs Graduate Hall Directors (GHDs) and Associate Directors (ADs) on call throughout Winter Break. Public Safety will assist students in contacting the appropriate staff member on-duty if necessary.
- No Guest Passes are available through Public Safety during Winter Break. Guest Passes will resume at 9am on Thursday, January 17, 2013.
- Guests/visitors can be signed in at the residence hall front desk and MUST be escorted at all times. A student may sign-in no more than 3 guests/visitors at any one time during Winter Break.
- The Wallach Hall front desk will close throughout Winter Break. All residents and guests/visitors entering Wallach must do so through Hartley or John Jay Hall. All other residence hall desks remain open throughout Winter Break.
- Facility Emergencies: Please contact the Hospitality Desk at xH-APPY (x4-2779) from a residence hall phone or 212-854-2779 from a cell phone.
- Escort Shuttle: Shuttle service provided to students on a "call for service" basis. To "call for service" during a scheduled break, students should call Public Safety at 4-5555 (212-854-5555) and request transport from the Dispatcher. Service will be provided to and from College residence halls and CU and Barnard buildings only.
Health Services: Medical Services in John Jay Hall remains open for regular business throughout the break, with the exception of University holidays.
- For after hours medical or mental health concerns, contact the clinician-on-call at 212-854-9797. Student concern will be assessed by a telephone triage specialist and recommendations for care will be provided. For immediate medical or psychiatric care, students may also go directly to St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital ER located at 114th Street and Amsterdam Avenue (212-523-3347).
- Dining Hall: Most Dining locations are closed throughout Winter Break. Please see for a full listing of opening and closing dates and times: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/dining/docs/locations/holidayhours.html#N100BD. Off-campus flex continues to be available throughout Winter Break.
- Mail Services: Please visit the Lerner Hall Mail website at: http://mailservices.columbia.edu/.
- Library: Please visit the Library website to determine specific library openings and hours at: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/.
The official University holidays are:
Monday, December 24, 2012
Tuesday, December 25, 2012
Monday, December 31, 2012
Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Please note: The Housing Office (118 Hartley) and Student and Guest Accommodations Office (114 Hartley) will be closed starting Friday, December 21, 2012 at 5pm and will reopen Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 9am.
The Hospitality Desk will be open and available 24 hours a day during this time if you need assistance.